Tuesday 21 August 2012

Review - Frostfire by Zoe Marriott

ISBN 9781406318142
Published by Walker Books

5 out of 5 stars * * * * *

Wow! Zoe you have done it again...

In the spirit of full disclosure, I LOVE Zoe Marriott's books! They are an automatic must read for me. I trust that from the first page I'm going to be taken on a magical journey, full of emotion and with plenty of twists and turns. With Frostfire I was not disappointed!

The worlds that Zoe creates are so believable that you just can't help being drawn into them. I'm not going to give you guys a rundown of the plot, as I'd rather you go and buy the book and read it! lol. I will say though, that if you're looking for something to escape into, this is the book for you!


It was wonderful to revisit the world of Ruan, and its surrounding kingdoms. I would read, without hesitation, many more books set in this world. I love the mythology of it, it's people, it's cultures. We are first introduced to this world in the book Daughter of the Flames, it is not essential to have read that first, but it does help give you an insight into Ruan. I would recommend that you read that one first, as it is another beautifully written book. 

Each of the Kingdoms in this world have their own religions, beliefs and values that make them different, and in much the same way as our world, those differences cause discord. We visit a world healing from a civil war, filled with people who are trying to fight their own internal wars. Struggling to come to terms with what others have done to them, and punishing either themselves, or the rest of the world, for the pain they carry.

This book could easily have slipped into the realms of darkness, but Zoe uses hope like an extra character, to light the way and to give the rest of her characters something to fight and live for. Absolutely stunning!

Zoe wields words much like an impressionists painter wields a brush, giving you the complete picture without getting bogged down in the details. It is this skill that lets the characters run free on the pages. You are never sure what they will do next. I love that Zoe is never scarred to challenge her characters. As with Frost, oh my Zoe! You really did put her through the ringer didn't you! lol

This book is a story of challenges, of struggles and of triumph. It is heart wrenching and satisfying to read. Watching Frost cope, and struggle, then watching her grow and learn and trust was simply breathtaking, agonising and wonderful. I cannot recommend this book enough! I give it 5 big fat stars and urge you to read it, like right now! You won't regret it.

See you next post,

Kaylie :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, write your thoughts down! :-)