Thursday 6 December 2012

Best of 2012 - Rosie


Best of 2012!!

Here is the second takeover post. This one comes from our member Rosie, enjoy...


 ‘Kyla’s memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost for ever.
She’s been Slated.
The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance- as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?’ 


Slated
By Terri Terry
Review by Rosie

Captivating, compelling and original. If I had to choose three words to sum up Slated, it would be those three.
This book is seriously addictive, and the majority of my spare time was consumed by it until it was finished. Even then, my mind was left reeling for about a week, swamped with questions about what would happen next, would everything be all right in the end, and, most importantly, why couldn’t the sequel be released a bit sooner? (I’m still waiting-summer 2013 better hurry up!)
Kyla’s perspective of her world was unique and insightful, and I found the concept of being Slated really intriguing.  Each Slated has a Levo, which is a device that looks a bit like a watch or bracelet and is fixed to their wrist. It monitors their levels; if they are happy their levels rise, and when they are sad, scared or angry, their levels drop. If their levels plunge too badly, Slateds can black out or even die. Any attempt to move or remove a Levo causes excruciating pain or death. The idea of Levos sent chills up my spine. I can’t imagine anything like it, and any attempt to on my behalf makes me shudder. Because of their Levos, Slateds are marked out and are treated like second class citizens.
Having a Levo means being condemned to a life of suspicion and isolation. Nobody really wants to go near Slateds because they all, supposedly, have committed crimes, done bad things or have been terrorists, like Kyla was said to be. This and their Levos meant that I did really feel quite sorry for any poor fictional character who’d been Slated, even though they could have previously been psychopaths or mass murderers
The world Kyla lives in is certainly fascinating, and it felt a bit like a utopian society until Kyla and her friend Ben started acting on their suspicions and digging around a bit. I can’t really say too much about the plot because it might spoil it a bit, but I thought it was utterly fantastic, and the twists and turns it took were, I thought, quite surprising at times.
I only have one teeny weeny criticism for Slated. The dialogue at times felt a bit unrealistic and stunted the flow of the book a bit because of its formality. However, this could just be me and my preferences and the fact that most people speak very informally these days.
Overall, I’m going to give Slated 5/5 stars, because I do truly love this book to pieces. It’s one of those books that you want to share with other people so badly, because you want to sing its praises and lament over characters and just generally fangirl/boy about, but at the same time want to keep locked up, like a secret that only you know. I just hope that Fractured lives up to its predecessor…

Rosie Caveney  


Thanks Rosie!! This book is flying off the shelves of our Bluewater store, so pop in to get a copy yourself! lol If you have read the book, or have any questions for Rosie, leave a comment below :0)

See you next post!!

Kaylie :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, write your thoughts down! :-)